Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Robes?
Hey Chris, I have a question regarding your 2 Timothy 2:20-21post.

"When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed." Revelation 6:9-11

At what point do these ones receive their white robes? While they're alive or after they have died?

This scripture seems to indicate that such ones don't receive a white garment until after they have died faithful.

If death has paid the price for their sins and the martyrs of Christ receive their white robes, how can such ones lose their garments or have them defiled by sin after death?

It reminds me of this scripture:
"For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin."  Hebrews 12:3,4

What you have written seems to indicate a category of Christian that are still alive when Christ returns and in Revelation 6 indicates a category of Christians who have already died.

This seems to tie in with this scripture-

"For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

But still when you read over Revelation 6 the latter or rest of those are still killed for bearing testimony to Christ.

What are your thoughts?
Good question! The first thing to note about Revelation 6:9-11 relative to the topic, is they are given a white robe before Jesus returns for Judgment.
What this shows is theoretically the souls that are crying out for justice have been judged as worthy, or more to the point they overcame.     

Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess
his name before My Father and before His angels.

What is most relevant is not that they died to receive a white robe but that they succeeded at overcoming, in their case it was necessary to
overcome/to be tested to the point of losing their life.  Revelation 3:5 shows he who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, the question is,
is the one who overcomes dead or alive before being clothed in white?

Revelation 3:4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.
Revelation 3:4 shows we have garments, obviously the context is not literal garments but garments that are seen by God as clean or defiled. Repetitively
 through Revelation 2-3 we read how the reward is after overcoming, and that not all overcoming includes being tested until death. Notice how with the
examples of the seven churches the context of testing and overcoming is focused on what the churches are doing wrong. Who will conform to the church
and do as they do knowing that what they do is wrong? Who will continue in their own wilful sin?

Revelation 7:14 And I said to him, “Sir, you know.” So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their
robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Revelation 7:14 shows us that the garments we possess are robes, notice how the robes are washed, showing that we start by wearing defiled garments/robes,
they are made white through Jesus blood, it is up to us to work with the spirit and be willing to overcome wilful sin, temptation and adversary, for what we
cannot overcome we have grace. In what we succeed at overcoming, these are the works the spirit has done in us, it is then up to us to hold onto these
works until the end.  
If we hold onto these works we walk in white.

Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the
shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

Here is an interesting scripture to do with testifying to death/Martyred.

Daniel 11:32 Those who do wickedly against the covenant he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and
carry out great exploits. 33 And those of the people who understand shall instruct many; yet for many days they shall fall by sword and flame, by
captivity and plundering. 34 Now when they fall, they shall be aided with a little help; but many shall join with them by intrigue. 35 And some of
those of understanding shall fall, to refine them, purify them, and make them white, until the time of the end; because it is still for the appointed time.

This prophecy in Daniel 11 shows us something interesting about another process of being made white, notice what verse 35 says.
35 And some of those of understanding shall fall, to refine them, purify them, and make them white, until the time of the end; because it is still for
the appointed time.

This shows for some that understand their belief in God, for them to be made worthy, or for their garments/robes to be made white, they are
refined and purified through being martyred, or in other words faithful to death. Notice also some who are martyred are already worthy but still have to endure to death. 
Which shows us that some are worthy and walk in white robes before death.
Did you receive a proper answer regarding the 2 Timothy 2:20-21post? What can you add? Anything else to be admitted?